How AC Maintenance Can Prolong the Life of Your AC System
If your air conditioning unit is prone to frequent breakdowns and malfunctions, it is probably because it isn’t receiving the routine maintenance that is critical to its continued operation. Here are some important steps you can take to reduce the chances that you’ll need air conditioning repair service or have to replace your system:
• Change your air conditioner’s filters regularly. Depending on how often you use your air conditioning unit, you should change its filter every one to three months. Make sure that the filters you use are as efficient as possible. Filters also help to keep your air dust and dust mite free. As air passes through them, the filter catches loose particles. After a month, the filter may become clogged, limiting your air flow.
• Keep the Area Clear. To ensure healthy circulation of air, keep debris such as leaves or grass clippings away from your air conditioning unit’s outside condenser and make sure the indoor vents are not blocked.
• Clean your air conditioner periodically. Air conditioning units can easily become clogged with dust, mold, and bacteria, which can both make your air conditioning system less efficient and make you and your family sick. For safety and thoroughness, it’s best to hire a professional air conditioning service to do the cleaning. These regular cleanings also ensure that your air conditioner does not have to work too hard to maintain the desired temperature.
• Don’t Overwork Your System. When your air conditioner runs continuously for long periods of time, it can burn out or overheat. It’s best to set your system to cool until a certain temperature is reached instead of keeping the fan on.
• Have your air conditioner maintained by a professional HVAC company regularly. Oftentimes, a serious issue starts from a minor issue that went undetected. A professional’s keen eye can spot those issues before they get out of hand.
By following these simple guidelines, you can ensure that your HVAC system continues to serve you well-and that your indoor air quality is uncompromised – for years to come.